Thursday, November 4, 2010

Kawasaki Versys

The BMW F650GS was getting older and to be honest the throbby big thumper of an engine was wearing thin. The problem was that nothing to replace it was jumping out at me, other than another single which was not what I was after. I then spotted the Kawasaki Versys which had quietly kept itself to itself. It was a 650cc parallel twin which was a lot smoother than the single cylinder equivalent. I visited Portman Motorcycles and took out a demonstrator which I liked straight away. The engine was smooth and torquey whilst the riding position was very similar to the BMW. The deal was done, the BMW traded in with 9000 miles (showing) on the clock (he didn’t ask, so I didn’t tell him) and the Versys was ours. The good thing was that while we were waiting to collect the bike the dealer phoned me to say that he couldn’t get hold of the none ABS version that I had requested. I explained that the only reason I didn’t want ABS was that it was £200 more expensive so we had a chat and decided that I should just have the ABS one in stock without paying £200 for it. Never mind, I’m sure he will get over it. It has served us well so far but it is a bit top heavy and the finish will only take a couple of winter’s salt I reckon. Speaking of which I lost the front wheel on ice early one morning but as I was only doing 10 MPH I managed to whack it back up with my foot! It is very easy to ride an Annette likes it although she does find it a bit heavy at times. I will probably change the tyres soon for something a bit grippier and I wouldn’t rule out a loud exhaust either. Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment